Sunday, December 24, 2017

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

I am no Grinch, no Ebenezer Scrooge. Anyone who knows me, knows that Christmas is my FAVORITE time of year. I am all about the traditional carols, mistletoe in my car, tree up a few days after Thanksgiving, gift shopping, baby Jesus hiding while the rest of the nativity scene is set up, midnight mass going, so on and so forth. I enjoy the spirit of the season to it's fullest, the season of joy, hope, giving, and the greatest love. 

Last Christmas I was stumped. I was unsure of what to buy for all of my loved ones and I was having a really hard time deciding whether gift cards were too impersonal or if I could afford to buy everyone everything I really wanted to get them. I was stressed, worried that even if I went through with purchasing gifts they wouldn't be well received. In a conversation a few weeks before Christmas, my boyfriend mentioned that he and his family have adopted a family in the past, and that was when I had my "AHA!" moment. I quickly searched the internet for organizations still looking for donors and was able to find one. After contacting them and getting information on a small family, I rushed to some stores and got what was requested and a few days later I dropped off gifts at the location that was taking the collections. It was a wonderful feeling knowing that I was able to help a family in need last Christmas. Below you will find the story of "The Night Before Christmas" retold in my words - may it be an inspiration for you this holiday, and if nothing else may it bring a smile to your face on this Christmas Eve night. 

Merry Christmas my friends! 




‘Twas the Week Before Christmas
... present, bokeh, christmas
Retold by: Brianna Gonzalez


A traditional story redelivered through the thoughts of a young woman who humbly sought to
bring a new kind of cheer to her family and friends during the Christmas this year.  


December 25th, 2016

‘Twas the week before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring… wait... was that a mouse?

Not a stocking was hung, there was no chimney to spare, and St Nicholas’ feast day had already been shared…

Lizzy was nestled all snug in her bed, while visions of chew toys danced in her head…

And me in my pj’s, had just eaten a gingersnap...finally settled for my long winter’s nap…

When all of the sudden there rose such a clatter -  it was more like noise in my brain, but that’s always the matter…

Upright I sat with a hot flash ensuing. The thoughts rushed through my head, and then started stewing…

My room was dark with just a slight glow , which came from the lamp post just outside my window…

So many wonderful people I care for with all of my heart... So many in fact, I made a chart!

Christmas was coming soon, what would I do? They all deserve presents, but my dollars were few…






When what to my wondering eyes appeared as I looked about, but a miniature Nativity that I had put out…

I remembered the characters  that we find in this scene, sweet Mary and Joseph and a sheep named Maureen…

Baby Jesus was coming in a manger to shiver,  God’s greatest gift to us already delivered.




Then in that moment I had an idea, It came without ribbons, it came without tags.
It came without packages, boxes, or bags.  
Maybe Christmas , I thought, doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more!

… Hold on, wait… I think that’s a different story …



I pulled out my laptop and started to look, and to no surprise, there were plenty of families with not much to cook, not many toys or even a book!

As I scrolled the stories and tears filled my eyes, I found one small family who could use some gifts from the Magi…  



I chose to adopt them in all of our names, they’ve received clothing and food and quite a few games!
I hope that this story has brought joy to your life, and that this Christmas is still very merry and bright…

...and with that I will say Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

“Ms. Gonzalez’s retelling of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas’ is wise and downright hilarious!” The NY Times

“Brilliant and inspirational!” Jane Austen, Award Winning Author


“As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” Audrey Hepburn
“God bless us, everyone!” Tiny Tim

1 comment:

  1. Lol that was awesome. You tugged at my heartstrings and gave me a good laugh. Thx i needed that...
    thank you for being you... kind, loving, thoughtful, sweet etc etc etc

    Love always Tia. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete